Progress on the Acastus Knight Porphyrion

Acastus Knight Porphyrion - WIP 2eA slightly belated Happy New Year!  In this post I go over progress on my Acastus Knight Porphyrion, putting together my AoS Death army and the plans I’ve got for 2017 – needless to say, I’m planning far too much!

I spent quite a bit of time not at home over Christmas, so though I made hobby progress, I didn’t make quite as much as I’d have liked

Continue reading “Progress on the Acastus Knight Porphyrion”

Unboxing the Forge World Acastus Knight Porphyrion

Acastus Knight PorphyrionThe Forge World Acastus Knight Porphyrion was unveiled at the Horus Heresy Weekender in February put up for sale last week and I can happily say that I have one of these in my hands and what a beast!  Weighing in at 1.6Kg and pretty much the same height as a Warhound Titan the Acastus Knight Porphyrion is a true heavyweight in the arsenal of any Questoris household or as a Lord of War option for a Mechanicum army – that’s right folks, with the experimental rules Forge World have released Legion armies can’t field this model.  The rules are also only for 30k and we’re being told by Forge World that the 40k rules are “coming soon” – my belief is that they’ll be included in the Fires of Cyraxus Imperial Armour book rather than as a PDF release.

Continue reading “Unboxing the Forge World Acastus Knight Porphyrion”

Using “Challenges” to Motivate

A slightly later post this week because I wanted to be able to post up a bit more progress on my Imperial Knight armour.  My challenge last week was to get all of the metallic colours down on the armour plates which I actually managed to achieve before the weekend.  Since then (I was away the whole weekend) I’ve managed to get all of the layers of Angron Red down – nine in total!  The result is fantastic and was well worth the effort.

Imperial Knight Red Stage 9

 

This coming weekend is the Horus Heresy Weekender so I’m not going to be able to get much done as there is only a couple of evenings left and I’ve mundane things like the washing to do.  I’ll suffice with:

Start spraying Corax Black

Take lots of pictures at the weekender

Although I’m only doing challenges a week at a time, the next challenge will be to mask off the guns so that I can get the red onto those, after that I’ve a mountain of Plaguebearers to undercoat for my brother which I really need to crack out sooner rather than later.

Now rather than finish the post off at that, I’ll waffle on a little bit about motivation. I’ve covered this once before, but this is a topic that I feel needs revisiting every now and again just to keep things fresh.

Continue reading “Using “Challenges” to Motivate”

Cherries and Candies

Test Shoulder on KnightI’m starting to enjoy this 52 week challenge!  Week 3’s targets have been comfortably achieved and I’ve done a few other bits to boot!

Firstly I’ve created myself a Twitter account.  Although I’m generally against “personal” Twitter accounts where people post up the fact they’ve just made a sandwich or gone to the toilet, I can’t deny how easy it is to post up work in progress shots in comparison to every other method out there, plus hash-tagging as you go means it’s really easy to share pictures within the appropriate circles.  Secondly I’ve started up a WIP of my Knights on the 30k Forums.  I joined up months ago but in an effort to keep a bit of momentum going thought it made sense to start a WIP and get my face known a bit more. Continue reading “Cherries and Candies”

Imperial Knight Progress and Vallejo Metal Color

Three Knights

Well it’s not quite a Sunday post, but it’s a post within a week and quite a long one at that 🙂  Firstly an up to date progress shot of my three Imperial Knights.  As you can see (or not, the winter weather doesn’t make it easy to take a photo with a phone camera), the majority of the metallics have been done.  I’ve still a few odd fiddly bits and bobs to do, such as pipes and smaller details which I hope to work on over the next week or so.  Most importantly I’ve sorted out the resin weapons for the Maegera which I’ve been putting off for a while.  The power gauntlet isn’t finished (as you can see it’s not even undercoated) and I’ve also a Thermal Cannon that I need to finish off now that I’ve bought a spare elbow joint.  All of the weapon arms are magnetised primarily for storage but also so that I can use my Maegera as a normal Knight if I want.  I’ve also a couple of carapace weapons.

One thing I’m really chuffed with is how well the blue glowing elements have turned out – the Plasma-fussil and Ionic Flare Shields really do pop in the mass of grey-metal and I’m currently considering if I should add some more blue glowing bits in vents and such like to break up the monotony of steel.

As I mentioned in my summary last week, since I’ve been doing these, I’ve purchased some Vallejo Metal Color paints.  These new paints have allowed me to add some more techniques into my repertoire of painting metallics.  In the above picture the heads have all been painted using the new paints with minimal washes and they do pop more than the dulled down chassis.

Continue reading “Imperial Knight Progress and Vallejo Metal Color”