After the frantic amount of painting undertaken in the lead up to the Seeds of Hope campaign, I’ve been taking things a bit easier and been painting up a Khorne Skullcannon to add a bit of ranged firepower to my Age of Sigmar army. This “hobby light” period has been intentional to prevent any potential burn out and to catch up with some of the real-life things I’d put to one side to get my army painted.
Well the dust has settled from the excitement of the Age of Sigmar Open Day at the weekend and I’m finally back in the land of the living. So where to start – the beginning is probably a good place!
Firstly, here’s the link to the photos I took: https://flic.kr/s/aHskGy8eeZ
With most events at Warhammer World I tend to travel up by train on the Friday before, generally arriving late afternoon, with enough time to drop my bags off at the hotel and wander over to Bugmans for a couple of pints and burger for tea. This event was no different really, train journey nice and smooth and grub was excellent as usual – half a cow and pig in a bun, what’s not to like (unless you don’t eat meat). With the Age of Sigmar Open Day being on the Saturday there was a slow trickle of staff moving display cabinets into the staff canteen area. On the way out I chatted with Alex in the store and saw the WHW exclusive Stormcast miniature painted up and in a cabinet. The released pictures don’t do the model justice and it has a far more dynamic pose than I was expecting.
“The best laid plans of mice and men often go awry”
I think this saying pretty much sums up my progress over the past week for my Khorne Bloodbound. I had originally planned that from last Friday when I got home I would have a pretty clear run of hobby time with nothing to stop me simply cracking out my Wrathmongers. Sadly real life threw the proverbial spanner in the works and resulted in me loosing a chunk of Friday afternoon, a chunk of Saturday and all of Monday evening. I had to take a couple of hours out of Sunday too as my eyes decided they didn’t like me and I was struggling to focus. This has then been compounded by the fact that tonight (Tuesday) I’ve also ended up having to work some of the evening (though it does mean I get this post written).
Khorne Bloodbound – Where they’re at
So what does this mean with my Khorne Bloodbound progress? Well my Wrathmongers aren’t finished and I’ve only just started to tidy up the last unit of Bloodletters. I’ve at least another two evenings worth of work to get the Wrathmongers finished as there is quite a bit of edge highlighting to get completed. Quite simply it’s going to be tight, but I think I’ve a few things up my sleeve that should help.
Although I’m losing time this evening I’m hoping to be able to knock off early than normal on Friday with the extra hours I’ve put in. This will give me a nice long weekend where the only commitment is a hair cut on Saturday. I’ve also heard on ‘the grapevine’ that the managers meeting being held next Tuesday evening is going to be moved to the day so I’ve a little bit of contingency there. Finally I managed to pick up Mephiston Red as an airbrush paint. This should mean that once I’ve tidied up the Bloodletters, getting them painted should be a relatively speedy job. That said they’re bloody horrible to tidy up with quite a bit of mold slippage.
So it’s not doom and gloom for my Khorne Bloodbound, but it’s certainly going to be a bit of a challenge! I’m also really happy with how the black has come out, I’m certainly going to be using Corvus Black a lot more when I need to paint up black armour!