Stormlord and Dreadnoughts

Well the Stormlord is very nearly finished, only a bit of drybrushing and painting of the shrine beside the engine pipes left to do and then I’ll call it a day.  I’m not going to pretend that this is 100% perfect – or even 80% and I could happily tinker away at this for the next six months and still not be completely happy with it.  However there comes a point where you just have to draw a line underneath a project and move onto the next with a lot of new found knowledge.  Once I’ve got these last couple of bits done, I’ll post up the completed paint job and a long list of “things learned”.

Continue reading “Stormlord and Dreadnoughts”

I Like Rusty Spoons…

Well last night saw me applying the rust elements to the body of the Stormlord.  A process that was actually a lot more difficult than you would expect.  The basic concept is you mix some rust coloured pigment (or in my case ground chalks) with some Burnt Umber oil paint and a little white spirit and “flick” it on using a paint brush.  However I ended up having to water it down more with white spirit and use my stippling brush as the other brushes I tried were far too soft (even drybrushes).  White spirit was then airbrushed on which blended in the sharp edges of the splatters and allows you to push the rust effect over the tank hull.  It’s VERY effective once you’ve worked out the technique and some big splatters adds to the overall effect.

Tonight I’m hoping to get the dust layer applied to the tracks and then it’s ready for a coat of matte varnish and the final bits.

Stormlord Progress

It might be a few weeks since my last post but the Stormlord project is finally on the last road to completion.  There is still a lot left to do, but I’ve got to the point where I can complete a step in an evening rather than having to spread it over a number of evenings due to the sheer size of the tank.

The tank has had all of it’s basic colours on and has been sponge weathered (a process where you apply paint with a sponge to simulate paint chips).  The whole tank has then been gloss varnished and last night I managed to apply an oil wash around all of the detail which then got blended in such a way that it looks like basic dirt & water streaking.  I’m probably not going to do much tonight but the next step is rust effects and then some applying dirt effect to the tracks and base of the tank.  A complete coat of matte varnish from the airbrush will then seal it all in ready for the last few bits.  Over all I reckon this should be completed in the next week or so.

Continue reading “Stormlord Progress”